A foreigner’s long-term residence right ceases in Romania in the following situations:
- In case of cancellation or revocation;
- In case of obtaining a long-term right to stay in another state;
- In case of absence from the Romanian territory for a period exceeding 12 consecutive months, except if during that time the foreign citizen benefited from a right of temporary residence in an European Union member state;
- In case of absence from the Romanian territory for a period longer than 6 consecutive years, even if during this time the foreign citizen benefited from a right of temporary residence in a member state of the European Union
- On demand;
- At acquiring Romanian citizenship;
- In case of an absence from the territory of the member states of the European Union, the European Economic Area or of the Swiss Confederation for a period greater than 2 consecutive years of the long-term resident, holder of a long-term residence permit with the mention "Ex-EU Blue Card holder ", or members of his family who have been granted long-term resident status;
- In case of cancellation of international protection in Romania and if the long-term right to stay was obtained in this capacity.
In case the long-term right to stay will cease and the beneficiary is on Romanian territory within 30 days from the date of communication the person can apply for a temporary stay permit under the purpose and the conditions provided by law.
If the long-term right to stay conditions ceased under the conditions of the law the foreigner may be given a new long term right to stay after a legal and continuous residence in Romania for a period of 12 months.